Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Along Came Mr. Alligator (Greater Than and Less Than)

TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES..........

I am having issues with my Flip camera, which is why my video posts have been delayed. I apologize for that. It is supposed to be plug-n-play, but apparently isn't cooperating with my Mac computer. I will keep working on it and hopefully post math instructional videos regularly VERY soon!

Here is a description of the video I was GOING to post....
My daughter inspired me with a song for our math lesson on greater than and less than. Using the children's song, "5 Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree," I used the lyrics from this song to engage my students and tap into their interest during an introduction to comparing numbers. Students were given two numbers to show to the class. As the class sang the following lyrics, "5 little monkeys sitting in a tree...teasing Mr. Alligator, can't catch me.....along comes Mr. Alligator quiet as can be.....and SNAPPED that monkey out of that tree!" Using a slapstick musical instrument, the alligator had to "snap" the number that was GREATER than the other. The shape of the slapstick simulated a greater than and less than sign. We had a lot of fun and I hope it will be a memorable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment